Under, we break down what to search for in a camp-friendly down sleeping bag, one that may maintain you heat on even the coldest nights—be it at your native campground or completely off the grid.
In This Article
What to search for when searching for a down sleeping bag
Sussing via the avalanche of down sleeping baggage available on the market might be daunting. Earlier than you begin buying, listed below are 4 key components to think about:
- Temperature score: When searching for a sleeping bag, look out for the temperature score, which is a typical of heat that is measured in Fahrenheit. In hotter climates and decrease elevations, a 32°F bag ought to do the trick. In cold-weather, nevertheless, you are going to wish to purpose for 20°F and under, that are snugger on colder nights. Many of the baggage on this checklist are 20°F, preferrred for winter tenting.
- Insulation kind: Sleeping baggage are full of both down, AKA fowl feathers, or artificial down, AKA faux fowl feathers. Each have professionals and cons. For instance, actual down is significantly hotter and far more packable, due to its (actually) featherlight options. It is significantly costlier although, and would not carry out effectively if it will get moist. Artificial down is extra sustainable and vegan-friendly, to not point out fast-drying when it will get moist. It’s kind of heavier, although, and a few blends aren’t as heat as the actual deal.
- Fill energy: Apart from temperature score, most sleeping baggage are marked with a quantity between 600-950. That is the fill energy, which refers back to the fluffiness, or the loft, of the fill. It’s kind of complicated, however a better fill energy would not essentially imply the product is hotter—it signifies how lofty the fill is, and the way effectively it compresses. Learn extra on fill energy, here.
- Form and weight: Lastly, the form and weight of your sleeping bag are price your consideration, too. As for form, more room is not precisely higher—additional room to roll round in would not retailer physique warmth fairly as effectively. If thermal effectivity is your objective, purpose for a mummy form with a hood, which is designed to maintain warmth in and chilly air out. As for weight, the decrease you go in temperature score, the heavier the product will possible be (extra down = extra heat). Relying in your mountain climbing and tenting preferences, you may wish to take this into consideration, too.
Able to get buying? Listed below are our picks under, designed to maintain you heat and comfy on and off the path.
Marmot, Phase 20 Sleeping Bag: 20°F — $506.00
The Section 20 Sleeping Bag by Marmot is a surefire wager for staying snuggly on chilly, winter’s nights. It’s rated for 20-degrees Fahrenheit, so it’s nonetheless heat with out being cumbersome or too heavy to hold. It’s insulated with 850-fill energy down that’s designed to fend off moisture, whereas the mother form (full with a wraparound hood and footbox) reduce warmth loss. It’s a bit expensive, however price each penny.
What prospects say: We purchased this sleeping bag and the ladies’s Section 20° sleeping bag and are so pleased with them. We reside in Alaska and are ready to make use of them for Spring, summer time and fall tenting. We love the hood function and are heat from our head to our toes.”
- Tremendous light-weight and packable
- 850+ fill goose down
- Temperature score of 20°F
Kelty, Cosmic Ultra 800 DriDown Sleeping Bag: 20°F — $200.00
Equally, this Kelty model affords a premium high quality at greater than half the worth of the Marmot mannequin. This sleeping bag is stuffed with 800-fill duck down that’s additionally hydrophobic and fast-drying. It’s formed equally, full with trapezoidal baffles (the horizontal stripes that maintain the down in place) to retain physique warmth. Simply word, the common dimension is fitted for folks 5’8″ or under, so for those who’re taller, dimension up.
What prospects say: “This sleeping bag is every little thing I anticipated and extra… When packing up, it’s extraordinarily compressible, and takes up little or no room in my backpack. I might undoubtedly buy this once more.”
Sea To Summit, Ascent Down Mummy Sleeping Bag 25°F — $349.00
Sea To Summit is aware of there’s much more that goes into a very good sleeping bag than simply fill energy. The model’s design staff takes every little thing into consideration, from roominess and form to the distinction in males’s and girls’s sleeping kinds.
The Ascent is gentle and compact, making it simple to pack on and off the path. Between the hood, outsized draft collar and zipped draft tube, it’s assured to maintain physique warmth the place it must be. Paired with the model’s matching sleep pads, and also you’ve bought your self a sleep system you’ll by no means wish to go away.
What prospects say: “This can be a very snug and light-weight backpacking bag. The a number of zippers stop mummy-bag-claustrophobia, and so they present sufficient air flow to make this appropriate for all 4 seasons. I particularly admire the foot zip so I can maintain my toes flexed when sleeping.”
- Extra room between hips and knees in comparison with a mummy sleeping bag
- Inner pocket
- Temperature score of 0-25°F relying on mannequin
- 750+ Fill, down licensed Accountable Down Commonplace (RDS)
- Some reviewers declare zipper pulls are small
The North Face, Eco Trail Down 20 — $189.00
This budget-friendlier down sleeping bag is one other nice possibility for fall and early winter tenting journeys. It options the model’s recycled 600-fill down that stays heat whereas abandoning a restricted carbon footprint.
As for the options, there’s a cinch-able hood, a vaulted footbox, and prolonged area on the knees for extra room. It’s obtainable in brief, common, tall and further tall sizes, too.
What prospects say: “Good building and it fluffed up instantly. I’m 5′ 11” inches and the common match me completely. Any taller and I might get the bigger one. I’ll possible order one other one quickly.”
- 75 % recycled supplies
- Temperature score of 20°F
- Prolonged width at knees
- Reasonably priced
- Just one zipper, and it doesn’t prolong all the best way to the toes
Feathered Friends, Egret YF 20/30 Women’s Sleeping Bag — $429.00
Feathered Pals is a trusted model within the outside business for its high-quality and long-lasting line of down merchandise. The Egret is not any totally different—it’s stuffed with 900+ premium goose down (that’s ethically sourced and traceable) that’ll maintain you heat and comfy on even the coldest nights. Just like the others, it’s featherlight and packable whereas by no means compromising heat.
What prospects say: “Even within the coldest temperatures, this bag works effectively simply thrown over me as a blanket (and I prefer to sleep heat). It breaths effectively and doesn’t weigh me down. I’m 5’1’’ and match effectively right into a small. I like not having to hold the additional size. I wouldn’t sleep with the rest.”
- Temperature score of 20°F
- 900+ fill energy goose down, additional down within the footbox and across the chest
- Further room round elbows and knees
- Shallow hood
- No draft collar
- Bigger dimension solely accommodates folks as much as 5’9″
Nemo Equipment, Disco Women’s Down Sleeping Bag 30°F — $280.00
The difficulty with mummy sleeping baggage is that they’re not designed to accommodate aspect sleepers. Enter: the Disco by Nemo Gear, which harnesses a curvy spoon-shape to let side-sleepers snooze comfortably.
As for heat, the 600-fill ethically sourced down is rated for 30-degrees Fahrenheit, so it’s preferrred for hotter temperatures. It’s additionally feature-friendly, crafted with particulars that make a distinction, like its Thermo Gills, which maximize airflow with out letting drafts in, or its built-in Fillo, which might be full of garments and different smooth valuables and used as a pillow.
What prospects say: “Simply spent 2 nights in it this weekend and it’s the very best sleep I’ve bought in a sleeping bag. Very heat, extraordinarily snug with the hood and inbuilt pillow holder. It additionally packs down very small and it responsibly gentle weight! 10/10 would purchase once more.”
- Spoon form is good for aspect sleepers
- Waterproof and breathable footbox
- Built-in pillow pocket
- Doesn’t have as low of a temperature score as a few of the others
Big Agnes, Camp Robber Bedroll — $200.00
Double-down on snuggliness with this double sleeping bag by Massive Agnes. It’s designed to suit over your matching sleeping pad for heat, full with a stretchy sleeve that retains your pad in place whereas maximizing thermal regulation.
As for the bag itself, the temperature score begins at 40 levels (however the additional physique warmth out of your associate will possible add heat.) Or, for those who’re alone, it’s giant sufficient to wrap round your self for twice the consolation.
What prospects say: “We solely want we had purchased this sooner! It suits completely round our two huge agnes sleeping mats and holds them collectively so tightly that there isn’t a hole in between. Tremendous heat at evening and if it will get too heat, it simply zips on both sides to hold a leg out,” Moosejaw buyer
- Feels extra like a mattress than a standard sleeping bag
- Can be utilized as a sleeping bag or unzipped as a quilt
- Is available in single or double sizes
- Larger and fewer fitted across the physique
- No hood and broad neck space
- Just for barely hotter temps
REI Co-Op, Magma 15°F Sleeping Bag — $389.00
The Magma 15 from REI is a favourite amongst campers and backpackers, due to its capacity to pack gentle with out compromising consolation at evening. The 850-fill is stabilized by the baffling which retains it in place to keep up consolation all evening lengthy. It’s additionally loaded with options that assist in sleep high quality and comfort, like the interior stuff stack for storing personals and anti-snag zipper for higher zipping.
What prospects say: “This sleeping bag is superior! It packs small and retains me toasty. Went backpacking in damp ~30F climate and it stored me heat. I particularly just like the little scarf close to the neck to maintain chilly air out.”
- 850-fill goose down
- Temperature score of 17°F
- Two hood drawcords
- Simple zipper entry alongside shoulders and torso
- Slender round shoulders and hips
Therm-A-Rest, Vesper Quilt: 32°F — $330.00
Technically, the Vesper isn’t a sleeping bag—it’s a quilt that snaps round your physique whereas the built-in foot field retains you cosy. The 900-fill is hydrophobic and quick-drying, whereas the interior lining displays physique warmth, stopping warmth from escaping. Better part is, it rolls all the way down to the dimensions of a water bottle, making it ridiculously simple to pack out on hikes the place area (and weight) is proscribed.
What prospects say: “Finest nights of sleep I’ve ever had within the Sierras. Spent 4 nights within the Kings Canyon space in late June. We had comparatively heat nights, aside from the evening we spent at about 10,500′. Even that evening I simply layered clothes and slept like a child.”
- 900-fill down
- Tremendous light-weight (underneath one pound) and compact
- ThermaCapture lining displays physique warmth
- Waterproof shell retains it lofty even in moist climate
- Just for use in hotter temps (temperature score of 41°F)
- No hood or draft collar
Oh hello! You seem like somebody who loves free exercises, reductions for cutting-edge wellness manufacturers, and unique Effectively+Good content material. Join Effectively+, our on-line neighborhood of wellness insiders, and unlock your rewards immediately.
Our editors independently choose these merchandise. Making a purchase order via our hyperlinks could earn Effectively+Good a fee.