April 26, 2022 – Montreal – Nationwide Movie Board of Canada (NFB)
The NFB might be a part of the twentieth Sommets du cinema d’animation, happening in Montreal from Might 10 to fifteen, 2022, with eight of its brief movies screening on the competition. The sturdy, various choice consists of two world premieres: Caresses magiques – Masturbation: la petite histoire d’un grand tabou (Magical Caresses – Masturbation: A Short History of a Great Taboo), directed by Lori Malepart-Traversy, and What Rhymes with Poisonous, directed by Lynn Smith; together with one Canadian premiere and three Quebec premieres. In all, 5 NFB shorts are entered in official competitors sections on the Sommets. Most of those movies had been directed by ladies, who’ve taken unique artistic approaches to modern topics starting from sexuality to the setting, psychological well being and identification. The NFB may also be collaborating in a number of occasions organized by the competition, together with a retrospective of movies by Orkney Cree Metis creator Terril Calder, whose movie Meneath: The Hidden Island of Ethics is in official competitors.
Fast details – the NFB on the Sommets:
Official Canadian Competitors – Academic and commissioned movies
Caresses magiques – Masturbation: la petite histoire d’un grand tabou (Magical Caresses – Masturbation: A Quick Historical past of a Nice Taboo) by Lori Malepart-Traversy
(NFB, 4 min) – WORLD PREMIERE
Press package: mediaspace.nfb.ca/epk/magical-caresses
- A couple of years after her massively profitable movie Le clitoris, animator Lori Malepart-Traversy is again with the animated documentary collection Magical Caresses, which includes 5 brief movies, together with Masturbation: A Quick Historical past of a Nice Taboo, chosen for this 12 months’s Sommets competition. This brief appears again on the stunning story of our relationship with masturbation-and its repression-from prehistory to as we speak.
Official Canadian Competitors – Skilled
What Rhymes with Poisonous by Lynn Smith
(NFB, 4 min 59 s) – WORLD PREMIERE
Press package: mediaspace.nfb.ca/epk/what-rhymes-with-toxic
- Chemical sludge is spilling into the lake. One turtle, in her determined hour, summons up the braveness to go away her dwelling and communicate fact to energy.
- Veteran animation filmmaker Lynn Smith has been making progressive, award-winning movies since 1969, together with: The Shout It Out Alphabet Movie, “Instructor, Lester Bit Me!”, Happy Birthday, This Is Your Museum Speaking, The Sound Collector, Pearl’s Diner (Genie Award), Sandburg’s Arithmetic, Siena and, most just lately, Soup of the Day. Mentor to youthful generations, she has taught animation within the Cinema Division at Concordia College for shut to twenty years.
Meneath: The Hidden Island of Ethics by Terril Calder
(NFB, 19 min 22 s) – QUEBEC PREMIERE
Press package: mediaspace.nfb.ca/epk/meneath
- On this stop-motion movie, creator Terril Calder charts a difficult journey for a precocious Metis child lady as she contemplates her path to Hell. The brief movie was chosen to display on the 2022 Annecy and Berlin festivals after its world premiere on the 2021 Toronto Worldwide Movie Competition (TIFF), and has garnered many awards.
- One of many foremost Metis media artists practising in Canada as we speak, Terril Calder is a multi-disciplinary creator born in Fort Frances, Ontario, and at present residing in Toronto. This 12 months’s twentieth version of the Sommets encompasses a retrospective of her work.
Unattainable Figures and different tales I by Marta Pajek
(Animoon/NFB, 16 min) – QUEBEC PREMIERE
Press package: mediaspace.nfb.ca/epk/impossible-figures-and-other-stories-i
- Following an explosion, a mysterious and chic aged girl wanders abandoned metropolis streets, recalling what was and what may have been.
- The ultimate movie (and first half) of Marta Pajek’s acclaimed trilogy, Unattainable Figures and different tales I is a mysterious and haunting portrait of non-public and societal self-destruction. That is the Polish filmmaker’s first collaboration with the NFB.
Comme un fleuve (Flowing House) by Sandra Desmazires
(Les Films de l’Arlequin/NFB, 15 min) – QUEBEC PREMIERE
Press package: mediaspace.nfb.ca/epk/flowing-home-nhu-mot-dong-song
- The kid of a Vietnamese mom and French father, Sandra Desmazires has crafted an animated brief telling the story of the intertwined destinies of two sisters separated by the Vietnam Conflict.
- This movie has been chosen for some 50 festivals in Canada and around the globe, successful a number of awards within the course of.
Particular Presentation (non-competitive)
Serotonine anonyme (Brainstream) by Caroline Robert
Created by studio AATOAA and produced by the NFB (lengthy model: 20 min; brief model: 5 min)
CANADIAN PREMIERE – live-performance presentation
Press package: mediaspace.nfb.ca/epk/brainstream
The 2022 Sommets du cinema d’animation awards ceremony will open with a particular live-performance presentation of the movie Serotonine anonyme (Brainstream) by Caroline Robert.
La liste des choses qui existent 2 – La banane (The Nice Checklist of Every part 2 – The Banana) by Francis Papillon
(La Pastque/NFB in collaboration with Tele-Quebec, and with the monetary participation of the Shaw Rocket Fund)
Press package: mediaspace.nfb.ca/epk/the-great-list-of-everything-season-2
Different Sommets occasions with an NFB presence
Exterior of the competition, screening of the whole collection of Magical Caresses shorts by Lori Malepart-Traversy
To mark the world premiere of Magical Caresses on the Sommets, the NFB will current all 5 brief movies on this animated documentary collection on the Alanis Obomsawin Theatre, with screenings in each English and French and the director in attendance. Date: Friday, Might 13, 7:30 p.m. Reservations required by e-mail at email@example.com.
NFB-Sommets Artist’s Speak with Elise Simard
Throughout this one-hour grasp class supplied in English, the filmmaker will share the ephemeral and exploratory course of she makes use of to compose pictures. Date: Friday, Might 13.
Tribute to Craig Welch
Three animated movies made on the NFB by the late Craig Welch, who died in 2020, might be offered as a part of a tribute to him at this 12 months’s competition.
– 30 –